Hello fellow ICers! I haven't had these muffins in ages because it is extremely difficult to find organic wheat bran where I live and unfortunately, non-organic wheat bran really flares my IC. They're delicious so I wanted to share them with you!
As a disclaimer, this recipe is only okay for ICers that are okay with butter. I included the brands of some of the ingredients because these brands consistently don't bother me. Even though I am usually okay with butter, sometimes if I have a different brand, it will flare me. I've also had a hard time with different kinds of sea salt and especially with egg whites so I hope that if you're in the same boat, these brands will be safe for you too!
I generally cut the recipe in half since I live in a 2-person household, but if I'm going to a gathering or a potluck, I make the whole recipe and have something 'normal' that I can enjoy with others. These bran muffins are moist and delicious. I hope you like them! Enjoy! 😊
- 1 cup filtered boiling water
- ½ cup Lactantia salted butter
- 3 cups organic wheat bran
- 2 ½ cups organic all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons Maison Orphée Grey Sea Salt
- 4 Homestead Farm Free Run XL egg whites (or if you can have egg yolks, 2 large eggs)
- 1 ½ cups old fashioned brown sugar
- 2 cups Lactantia 1% Lactose Free Milk
- Preheat oven to 400° F and put 24 standard sized muffin cups in your muffin pan(s).
- Stir ½ cup of Lactantia salted butter into 1 cup of filtered boiling water until melted.
- Stir in 1 cup of organic wheat bran and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the organic all purpose flour, baking soda and grey sea salt.
- In another large separate bowl, beat together the 4 XL egg whites, brown sugar and lactose-free milk.
- Once that is combined, mix in the wet bran mixture that you set aside in step 3.
- When combined, add in the dry ingredients and then 2 cups of organic wheat bran. Stir only until moistened.
- Spoon the mixture into 24 muffin cups in your muffin tray(s) evenly.
- Bake in preheated 400° F oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Let cool and enjoy!
To eat these muffins, I take 1 Lactaid Ultra and 7 Prelief. If you have IBS, make sure to drink Choice Organic Mint Tea with it and limit yourself to one muffin a day.