Friday, March 30, 2018

Kat's IC Friendly Bran Muffins

Hello fellow ICers!  I haven't had these muffins in ages because it is extremely difficult to find organic wheat bran where I live and unfortunately, non-organic wheat bran really flares my IC.  They're delicious so I wanted to share them with you! 

As a disclaimer, this recipe is only okay for ICers that are okay with butter.  I included the brands of some of the ingredients because these brands consistently don't bother me.  Even though I am usually okay with butter, sometimes if I have a different brand, it will flare me.  I've also had a hard time with different kinds of sea salt and especially with egg whites so I hope that if you're in the same boat, these brands will be safe for you too!

I generally cut the recipe in half since I live in a 2-person household, but if I'm going to a gathering or a potluck, I make the whole recipe and have something 'normal' that I can enjoy with others.  These bran muffins are moist and delicious.  I hope you like them!  Enjoy! 😊


Ingredients:
  • 1 cup filtered boiling water
  • ½ cup Lactantia salted butter
  • 3 cups organic wheat bran
  • 2 ½ cups organic all purpose flour
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons Maison Orphée Grey Sea Salt
  • 4 Homestead Farm Free Run XL egg whites (or if you can have egg yolks, 2 large eggs)
  • 1 ½ cups old fashioned brown sugar
  • 2 cups Lactantia 1% Lactose Free Milk

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400° F and put 24 standard sized muffin cups in your muffin pan(s).
  2. Stir ½ cup of Lactantia salted butter into 1 cup of filtered boiling water until melted.
  3. Stir in 1 cup of organic wheat bran and set aside. 
  4. In a separate bowl, combine the organic all purpose flour, baking soda and grey sea salt.
  5. In another large separate bowl, beat together the 4 XL egg whites, brown sugar and lactose-free milk.
  6. Once that is combined, mix in the wet bran mixture that you set aside in step 3.
  7. When combined, add in the dry ingredients and then 2 cups of organic wheat bran.  Stir only until moistened.
  8. Spoon the mixture into 24 muffin cups in your muffin tray(s) evenly.
  9. Bake in preheated 400° F oven for 15-20 minutes.
  10. Let cool and enjoy!
Makes 24 medium sized muffins.

To eat these muffins, I take 1 Lactaid Ultra and 7 Prelief.  If you have IBS, make sure to drink Choice Organic Mint Tea with it and limit yourself to one muffin a day.
                    

1 comment:

  1. If you’re taking Prelief with this bran muffin recipe, then it’s not bladder friendly.

    ReplyDelete

I promise that my comment is not prejudice, rude, or discouraging.